2.28.2011

catharsis

what i ________ about my job


emptying poop out of a plastic bag connected to somebody's stomach
pulling tubes out of and cleaning the body of a recently deceased woman with a highly contagious disease (so thankful she's in a better place)
assisting a woman of 370 pounds back into her bed and not being able to tell what part of her body is where ("you can sit down now" ... "i am...." ... "ohh...")
seeing multiple dimply, saggy bums through the open back of a hospital gown nightly
asking perfect strangers about their bowel habits, in detail
more experienced nurses treated me like nothing more than an incompetent little hassle to them and their ever so superior life (did you forget we have the same job and same position, and i would never want this job to be the culmination of my career?)
being nervous to call a doctor and tell him something to which he will probably say "uhmm.. okay... (youwokemeupforthat?)"
walking down the hall to leave the hospital and literally feeling like i've just been beat up, several times
just as i'm done helping my patient with whatever, i take my gloves off, thoroughly wash my hands... and as i'm half-way out the door they say "can you fix my sock?"
patients who say "open the blinds. empty my urinal. give me my medicine and then you can go." really?
trying so hard to do everything right that i know how and be a good nurse and it never being enough



it almost all makes it worth it when my favortie 80 something year old patient with the worst and cutest dementia has a harpers bazaar magazine in his room and when i first visit him he says "well, you better just pull up a chair and spend the night!"

6 comments:

  1. aww that quote at the end would make everything better! i'm sorry you have to deal with so much and such grouchy people but you ARE making a difference and helping people and that's absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart. I love dementia patients. Love them. So sweet and tender. And scary sometimes when they throw things. Then it can be scary. Love you so much, you are a fabulous nurse, no doubt. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad there are people like you in the world. I could never do the job you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOOOVVEEE this post, and I love so much your facebook status about your drive home this morning. My drive home this morning I stared off into space and barely even made it home because I was so half asleep and dazed, and i also got home an hour late because I had to transfer my pt to the ICU at 7 am! SuCKY Night!I am working night shifts now too. They are fun and crazy. I totally relate to everything you write about work. You and Dan are the cutest ever. I miss you too! You will forever be my life idol. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha. you think it gets better once you graduate from school. I wouldn't mind going back to that. school was so much easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hang in there, cute girl! sounds like a hard job - something i could NEVER do. you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete