4.26.2012

Jude's four month shots

My sweet little baby had his four month set of shots a couple weeks ago. Soo sad! I think it was worse this time around. Maybe because he is more aware and alert and just looks at me so helplessly. Or maybe because I've had two more months to love him and get to know him. My friend told me what her former pediatrician's office did to make the shots less traumatizing for the little ones and I thought it was a great idea that every pediatrician's office should implement. The idea is to have two nurses give the shots simultaneously in each leg. He had to get four injections this time, so instead of giving one shot, then another, then another, then another, he only had to get what felt like two shots because he got two of them at the same time. I politely told the doctor about it. I knew if I had the doctor on my side, she would tell the nurses to do it and the nurses do what the doctor says. So the doctor told me that would be fine, it just might take a little longer to wait for two nurses instead of one. And she said she had never even heard of doing that before. I think it should spread and everyone should start doing it! The first nurse came in and then the second. The second nurse acted all perturbed. Really?! She's obviously never had a child. The second nurse was all on her high horse and she said he had to lay down on the table "for safety purposes" although they let me hold him last time. I figured I would pick my battles. So I laid him down on the table. He was smiling and kicking like the most innocent happy little child. Then came the shots. INSTANT HYSTERIA. As soon as they were done I immediately brought him up to me and started feeding him. He calmed down and was just exhausted. He fell asleep on the 0.4 mile ride home and this is how I found him in his car seat once we got home...


Then we had a post shots photo shot. Typical. See two month shot post here.







He had a rough day or two after this set. No fever or anything, just kinda miserable. He's back at it now, though. LOVE HIM!

2 comments:

  1. Awwww...our precious little Jude! He looks like he bore it well, bless his little heart! I wish Grandma could hold her precious little one and just rock away. That was a great idea to have the shots given to him all at the same time.....good mama for making it happen even it the nurses were annoyed! Give Jude lots of Grandma & Grandpa love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find it interesting when nurses think they know more about a child then the parent would. Thats not to say I haven't gotten frustrated with parents coming in and thinking they know more then the doctor. I think the get the shots all done at once is a great idea -and remings me how glad I am that we don't do immunizations at our office. I hate poking kids! Your baby is so beautiful - I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete